Sunday 11 November 2007

CRPS

I am treating a pt at the moment who underwent a fusion of some of the carpal bones 8 weeks ago, after years of pain in the wrist. She was immobilised in plaster for 6 weeks, but all the fingers were immobilised as well, and now she has a very stiff hand. She is also very hypersensitive, and my supervisor has said that in her experience, hypersensitivity is usually one of the first signs of CRPS (chronic regional pain syndrome). I am treating her for the hypersensitivity, as well as for the decreased ROM in the hand and wrist. She also has many chronic pain behaviours, and I have been trying to not focus on the pain during our treatment sessions. I am finding this difficult, particularly as she volunteers information about the pain without me having to ask about it. I feel as though I am ignoring her when she does give me this information as I am trying to not focus on the pain. I know that this is for the pt's benefit, and that progress will be slow, however I still find it difficult because I will not really see much progress because of the limited time that we have on placement, but just have to trust that what I am doing is making a difference. But, I suppose that that isone of the reasons why we have supervisors, and that we need to make use of their knowledge and experience in treating pts. What does everyone else think?

No comments: