Tuesday 20 November 2007

Importance of the Allied Health Team

I had the opportunity to spend a lot of time on my rural prac working very closely with paediatric OT’s and SP. The team feeling on prac was amazing. Everyone had their role and was valued by the other team members. Weekly meetings were held to discuss common children and prioritise current issues so as not to overwhelm families with too much information from different allied teams. Often there would be joint treatment sessions with OT’s/SP or PT/OT or SP/PT or OT/SP/Dietetics.

I also had the opportunity to work with these various professions in different play groups. One person would lead the session for the day and coordinate the activities (a combination of gross and fine motor skills, language and communication skills, and social/behavioural skills) in preparation for these children to start kindy the following year.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the “allied health team” at work before like I did here. And although we discuss the importance of the team approach at uni, I very rarely ever see it on prac. People tend to be too preoccupied with their goals and treatments than seeing the patient as a whole. It reinforced the need and desire to work hard towards maintaining a team approach as we begin to ready ourselves for the work force next year.

1 comment:

wemadeit said...

Hi Lisa

I cant agree with you more regarding the importance of team work of allied health. I worked in one of the gerentology ward at RPH and the allied health staff there were so pro-active. They approached me (even though I was just a student) and asked me questions and opinion about perticular patients.I felt I was respected for the work and time I spend with patients and felt high self-esteem and fully motivated because of that.