Friday 16 November 2007

Pts and their notes

Hello all,

This week I saw a pt who had had surgical repair on his flexor tendons after punching his fist through a window. Prior to seeing him, I had a look in his medical notes, which reported that alcohol was involved and there was a domestic dispute. From this information, I wasn't all that keen to see him, especially as he was booked in for my final assessment with my Clinical Tutor. However, during the assessment, I asked how the injuries happened, and he explained that he had an argument with his sister and he punched his hand through a window. He was very remorseful, and said that he would give anything to be able to change what happened. He was very keen to be doing exactly what we told him, and was very compliant. What I learnt from this: don't judge pts by their notes, always ask them what happened because it may be different to what you assume from the limited information in the notes. Everyone makes mistakes, and we as physios are not there to judge people, but to treat them and help them.

2 comments:

nicki said...

yeah good point. On my last prac for my final Ax a had a young child who was upposed to have behavioural/anger management issues++ but he turned out to be the politest well behaved young boy ever.

Lisa Richardson said...

referrals are always decieving. I can't help but imagine who my client will be and most of the time am wrong.

Those that I look forward to are nightmare patients, and those that I'm dreading turn out to be lovely

despite all that I still can't help but think about it!