Monday 26 November 2007

Neuro is interesting!

My clinical tutor gave me a tutorial today regarding variables used to assess and train balance, I found it quite useful and would like to share it with everyone:

1. motor planning (eg. apraxia, percepture disorder)
2. strength
3. ROM (eg, ankle DF in ankle strategy)
4. CoG (eg, move it up and down, in and out BOS)
5. Visual Spatial disorder
6. BOS
7. limit of stability (eg limit of ankle sway, limit of functional reach)
8. dural task interference (distraction)
9. endurance (eg, repetition of ankle strategy)
10. segmental movement (eg, rotation of neck on shoulder, trunk on pelvis)
11. environmental factors

If we can integrate the above variables into balance training, our exercises program and progression will be very specific. Also, try to address all these variables in one position before you move on to the next. I tried to use this principle to treat my patients with balance problem and the results were fascinating. I never thought movement re-training can be so analytical and specific-I never looked normal movement in so much details-today I not only learnt a new way to train balance but also a new way to study.

No comments: