Wednesday 7 November 2007

oral dyspraxia

Sorry everyone I was going to blog while I was on my deferred overseas prac because it will probably be more interesting but I just remembered I have to comment and there is probably no point if nobody else is blogging too...so here is my 2nd delayed post.

On prac today the physios were talking about oral dyspraxia as opposed to expressive aphasia. As I understand it oral dyspraxia is when the patient knows what he/she wants to say but has trouble articulating the words voluntarily. Pts with dyspraxia apparently may be able to sing or speak in another language words that they cannot speak appropriately in English. English is apparently very hard to recall when you have dyspraxia and some patients find it easier to learn a new language, particularly one that is more phonetic. Apparently the reason singing may be easier is not completely understood, it may be to do with the rhythm or maybe because the words are already learnt and therefore more automatic. Has anyone else come across this distinction on prac? The physios suggested using singing of previously well known songs may be helpful to tap into some of that more automatic communication. Sounded interesting but I haven’t seen it in practise yet, has anyone else?

1 comment:

rowan said...

I have yet seen this in practice, but I have heard that my supervisor used to sing to her patients (however I think this may have been more for a calming effect more than anything). It would be interesting to see if this works. The only suggestion I have heard for helping to improve dyspraxia is to get the patients to try and mouth the words they are saying very slowly and to over-express each syllable. I might see if that works.