Tuesday 6 November 2007

Elbow splints

Hi everyone,

Last week on prac (I'm doing hands at Freo), my supervisor was referred an inpt who required an elbow splint. She told me that she had never done an elbow splint before, but had seen one done. She started doing this just before I went to have lunch, and was finding it difficult. After I came back from lunch I was with my CCT, and she was still working on it. Eventually the splint was finished, but it required 3 sheets of thermoplastic material and the OT's to come and help to make the splint (the physios and OTs work together in the hand therapy clinic). The moral of the story: no matter how much clinical experience you have, there is always something you don't know how to do, and that even supervisors have their "student" moments, when they feel totally incompetent, and they have to ask someone for help. It was a bit comforting to see that someone who had a lot of clinical experience still needed to ask for help, especially as I often try to figure things out on my own, and find it difficult to ask for help.


P.S. I got to see surgery on Monday afternoon, of a repair of a Dupuytren's contracture, which was pretty cool. Then I saw the pt today (day after surgery), which was also pretty cool, because I saw what the pt was like before, during and after surgery.

No comments: