Monday 12 November 2007

Getting a job

I'm not sure if I am alone in this one and I am not suggesting that the physio course has an abundence of room for more information to be squeezed in but...In trying to get a job I realised there are quite a few things I didn't know about, just basics and most things I have chatted to a lot of my supervisors throughout the year and most have been more than helpful but I just think if people have had less helpful supervisors or prehaps juniors who havent known as much about recruitment then this whole thing could be pretty tricky! I just think maybe some of the practical basics could maybe be included earlier in the semester, the careers expo was really great but I think some of the info would have been more helpful earlier. Just the really practical stuff, what to ask who? when to ask? when to send applications etc.
...Anyone else feel the same way?

3 comments:

Ellen said...

I feel that as we are nearing the end of our degree, the big wide world is a scary place. I too was wondering when to send resumes and where to look for jobs. I asked many of my clinical supervisors when they thought would be a good time. I guess uni gave us the management course at the beginning of the year which covered lots of information. However it was a long time ago now too. Have you tried asking Peter who to speak to as i am sure he knows a lot about that stuff or may direct you to someone who can.

nicki said...

totally agree, especially about when you should start to apply. I know its our careers and we should be spoon fed the whole way but i got really freaked out when i realised I was one of the only people in our year who hadn't started applying.

Lisa Richardson said...

Although we all want a job at the end of this, also take some time to consider that work will become available all year round.

If you're not ready to rush into a job then don't do so. If you are interested than talk to your supervisors, discuss what interests you, they may have a lot of suggestions about where to go, what may suit you're interests and the best people to talk to.

But don't be worried if you haven't started applying for jobs, do it when you're ready...

Remember we only last 7years in the profession remember...why? We demand so much of ourselves and burn out. Enjoy some time off and have a holiday before starting work...