Saturday 9 June 2007

Boundaries?

On my last placement at PMH, i was treating an 8 year olf aboriginal girl from up north. She was admitted for a tune up after getting a ripper chest infection. The patient has regularily attended the hospital and the physio's who know her, carry her around on their backs as a bit of fun to inprove compliance with physio. During treatment, she also liked to make "santa masks" with the bubbles created during physio. When i met her, you could see her head crawling with knitts. She had been recieving treatment for them but had yet to be cured. I made the decision that i was not happy to carry this child and was not happy to have bubbles put on my face.

Is this unfair? I would not carry any other child older than 2 or 3. I would also not allow anyone to place bubbles on my face, yet she seemed to be an acception with the physio's. At first she was not happy that i wouldnt carry her or allow santa masks but i made up another game to keep her occupied and having fun instead of being carried. I allowed her to put bubbles on my arms instead as i was "allergic on my face". She was ok with this as were the other physio's. As students, are we expected to follow the lead of the tutors in such a case or can we make rules of our own!!

1 comment:

wemadeit said...

I agree, I dont like to kiss my patient goodbye like some of my previous supervisors but dosent mean that I cant be a good physio and maybe as time passes, I will kiss my patient goodbye as I understand what pt truly mean to me...

whatever you act to your patietn, it should be all from the bottom of your heart: you feel it is nature to do it, then just go ahead. If you feel it is too much, then dont worry. Just be yourself.

However, I think you did a great job:)