Sunday 3 June 2007

Difficulty with tutors (part 2)

I am increasingly finding that my tutors are disagreeing with each other and taking it out via me. For example, I had to write a very extensive SOAPIER report for my facility tutor, to which she claimed lacked in detail ans told me to write "query decreased AROM" for example if unable to fully assess AROM. My CCT then said it contained way too much detail and yelled at me for writing to many "queries". I pointed out that that was what my CCT wanted- apparently not a smart thing to say.....

As highlighted in my previous blog, my F/tutor is not very flexible in regards to me trying techniques on patients (under her supervision). I am finding this a problem ++ because my CCT stated that I need to improve my communication skills and treatment ideas for pts with extensive head injuries. I tried to explain to her my situation (without blamming my FT) and told her that the other physios tend to run treatment sessions. She said that I was obviously not trying hard enough and being interactive enough. I was really really frustrated and upset as I could not fully explain to her the difficulty of being in my position as well as the fact that I am not seeing nearly enough pts to improve or given enough supervision, despite seeking more. The fact that I could not fully explain my situation was partly due to there being no privacy on the ward (my F/tutor was listening to what I was saying) and also because I do not want to seem unprofessional by bad-mouthing my facility tutor to my CCT.

SO, i was wondering if any of you have any ideas in how i could cope more appropriately or improve my communication with both of my tutors in a professional manner,
Thanks,
Nicki

2 comments:

Ali said...

Geez nicki that's a horrible situation. I had a similar thing myself but it was just that each was making pointed comments about the other so I just ignored it. It is definately not our role to be put in the middle of a dispute between clinicians. I would definately go and speak to Peter or someone in the school and see if they can help. Just think you cant be the first one to be in this situation, someone else must have experienced it at some stage and the school should have a stratergy for dealing with it. In the meantime I suggest you borrow notes from other people and listen to as many stories as you can from other people's pracs in the area so you can at least learn from other poeple's experience if not from your own- I know thats not ideal.

Lisa Richardson said...

Nik, I strongly encourage you to see Amanda Bozikovic for all the reasons you've listed. Having gone through this experience as well, I know how frustrating it can be, and to be quite honest, how sick you can feel in the morning before prac, just not wanting to go, and looking for any excuse not to.

See my post from last week. I tried as hard as I could to make it better for you, but obviously did not succeed.

My only strategy to cope in that situation was to inform Curtin of my concerns and accept that on this prac I was unfortunately not going to learn an awful lot and to be prepared to do some other study in the down time. I spent a lot of time looking and relooking through patient notes and chatting to the patients that I could do for 1/2hr at a time because I was not wanted wherever it was that my FCT was.

In addition, after my emotional moment... I wrote down on paper clearly what it was that I had issues with and my ideas of strategies to tackle these problems. One of them was, in a very polite manner, make my own list of pts to see in the morning before my tutor arrived, speak to the nurse to ensure it would be suitable to see them that morning/afternoon (i.e know where they would be/what the plan was for them, i.e. know more than my supervisor did about the patient) and then ask my supervisor (again very politely) if it would be ok to see the following patients this morning since Mr so and so needs an assesment done before he can be discharged etc etc

Since my supervisor couldn't cope with the situation they had been placed in, I had to start enforcing what I needed/wanted, that being pt contact time. so when they say maybe you can see Mr smith, be really positive, say yes and don't let her then take mr smith away from you.

Keep going, its almost all done, and try to speak to your CCT away from your FCT and be truthful, tell them you've had a horrible time of it and why, something's got to change.