Tuesday 5 June 2007

Confronting Issues

Currently I'm on prac in ICU and we were asked to assess a patient who had attempted suicide. Reading through the patient notes, I struggled to comprehend how and why someone could do that to themselves as I have never been faced with a situation where anyone close has ever attempted to or committed suicide. Hoping, hoping was I that they would not yet be awake as I'm not sure I could cope assessing someone who had tried to do this to themself, although I do recognise that it is a call for help and and a psychological condition.

Fortunately they were not awake at the time, but were being weaned off sedation and likely to wake up at any time. Later in the day the physios were asked to extubate the patient. Watching from closeby, the first thing I heard this patient say was "what happened?" No one could or would acknowledge his question and I choked up and almost cried and have been holding onto this since. Some patients certainly stick in your mind for years later, and I know this one definitely will.

4 comments:

wemadeit said...

Tell me if it sounds silly, Lisa: when he asked what happened, I would say "you were just born again mate."

Simon

Le said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Le said...

I love the sarcasm in the comment :) But being the other person in the cubicle bagging the patient while the physio extubated was quite daunting. As Lisa mentioned that the patient was suicidal which was a little scary as non of us could anticipate what might happen when the patient wakes and finds that they’re in a hospital. With these psychologically depressed patients, it's very difficult to understand what they're thinking or even motives. So when the patient queried "what happened" how should you answer this question? Should you tell them that they were rescued, resussed, alive and finally woken up, which in some cases may offend them immensely. Or in some cases these patients my rethink and be thankful that they're alive and decide that they've made a terrible mistake and accept treatment with open hands.

rowan said...

I agree Lisa, I too on a couple of my placements have encountered patients who have attempted suicide. One of my patients even discussed with me the ethics of euthanasia which I found extremely discomforting. My patient agreed strongly with individuals having the right to choose when to die and often wished that sometimes she could just 'flick a switch and it would all be over'. All I could do was to discourage her of such thoughts, and focus on her positives and I found that with time she grew to live with her condition and accept the challenge. Some patients may have in the past lacked the affection and attention they deserve, and caring hospital staff can sometimes bring out the best in these patients. Give them as much positive input as possible.