Sunday 17 June 2007

Run in with doctor

Hi everyone,
I have a mutlitrauma pt with a PMH of significant LBP, for which he was receiving weekly chiro Rx, as well as an unstable # of s1/s2 SPs. Needles to say the pt had++ pain (8/10) on rest and as a result we were not able to move him. On request of nsg staff, I was asked to talk to the prof of multitrauma. I explained to him the pts PMH and that his pain was impacting severly on PT Rx as well as that he was only on panadol ond oxycodone.

The doctor then abused me in front of the pt and 5 other doctors. He told me that this was not his problem and that the pt was obvioulsy not in that much pain as he hadn't said anything regarding it to him. He also stated that a little bit of pain was not a problem for the pt and said that my Mx was obviously not good enough otherwise the pt would not be in pain. He then suggested that I do mobilisations of the pts spine. This continued for 10 minutes or so.

I just glared at him for the whole time, even though I wanted to do much more....

Just wondering if anyone else would have stood up to the doctor, given that we are studetns and all?

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Hard situation!! I guess i can say that i might have voiced my opinion a bit louder to the doctor but in reality, i know that i would have taken a back seat and said nothing!!! I would have been scared to say anything just in case he got even more mad and aggressive. It wasnt fair that he talked down to you in front of clients but as student were seen to be the bottom of the food chain!!! you did the right thing in saying nothing coz it could have got so much worse if you had said the wrong thing.

Le said...

Nicki, it seems that you have had a really tough clinic. If I was in your situation, I would talk to my supervisor about the situation and make sure that this does not happen again as it’s unfair to you as a student and you shouldn’t be the one to blame. But then again from your previous blogs, your supervisor doesn’t seem experienced enough to provide adequate guidance. You are doing really well, hang in there Nicki.