Sunday 3 June 2007

Difficulty with tutors.. (part 1)

Hi everyone,
sorry for the late entry (was having toubles setting up the account). Here goes....

My prac has not gone very well from the onset. It started off with my tutor telling me that she "wasn't ready for another student yet" as well as being "too busy to give orientation", which she eventually gave to me last thing on Tueday aftternoon... Furthermore, I am finding it very hard to pretend like i am enjoying myself. I keep asking for more patients to see, despite my tutors refusal to let me see patients who I am not there to treat (half of the pts are neuro on the ward and half are ortho), so am only seeing one pt on my own / day. I also feel like i am not improving, as I see complicated low level patients with 2-3 other physios and tend to take over the sessions. I understand that my ideas may not be the best and may take extra time, but I am never given any le-way to try new things (or any treatment) on patients. This is despite my CCT asking my facility tutor to allow me to become more involved in treatment sessions. I asked if I could just follow my tutor around to see her treatment to try to improve, but she said no.

Furthermore, I am finding it very hard to know what to do and how to go about it, due to my tutor's disorginisation....she turns up late every day, only tells me the days plan at 10am and, is very contradictory. For example, she told me not to write pt notes till the 4th-5th week of placements and then became angry at me for not writing up pt notes during the past week I tried to subtly point out that she told me not to write notes and she became angrier as said she told me to start writing them later on in the placement -- (? maybe i should read minds for a living instead of doing physio)...

Therefore, I propose the question: When I've tried very hard to help, learn and be enthusiastic throughout the placement, how can i improve / pass this placement without actually seeing any patients til im assessed?

1 comment:

wemadeit said...

Hey Nicki, sorry to hear about your story, your supervisor seems very disorganized and seems that she doesnt get along with you well and i think maybe she has some error in her personality? if that is so, it is really unfortunate for you to have to put up with her for 5 weeks... Maybe the only person who will help you out is Amanda Bozikovic, you should talk to her about it. hope that helps. Simon