Saturday 9 June 2007

Letter to GP

I am treating a guy with medial anlke pain-I need to write a letter to his GP, who referred him to our clinic for 'strengthening ex program' as he recommanded, that this guy has hardly make any progression and I need to rule out the possibility of stress fracture. I find it awkward to write to the GP because I dont want to make him think I am telling him what to do, however, I need to know if he has a stress fracture so I can alter my treatment plan for him... Has anyone of you had the same problem?

Simon

2 comments:

wemadeit said...

Maybe it would be helpful to use a question so you dont offend the GP:

Try this "do you think it is worthwhile to refer Mr. XX to a bone scan to rule out the possiblity of a stress fracture?"

jessica said...

I have been in this situation before, and it can be very daunting especially when you have ‘Physiotherapy Student’ written under your name. However it is well within our rights to question whether or not a patient has an underlying condition and at the end of the day it makes us thorough and shows that we actually care about the patients well being. I would state the facts in the letter: This is what I found on initial assessment, this is how I treated the problem, these are the results and as such I query if there is some underlying pathology. Then add your question to the end. Hope this helps and sounds ok, failing that some prac’s have standard copy and past letters that you can add your patients details too!