Sunday 10 June 2007

Tutor trouble

On one particular clinic this year I found myself in a world of difficult situations. The clinic started off with me having absolutely no clue what was expected of me or what treatment sessions should entail. I found that the tutor gave us little to no guidance, even when asked and we were made to feel that we just SHOULD know what was meant to happen, what to assess and how to treat. On one particular occasion during a treatment session the tutor came rushing over to where I was giving an exercise to my patient and said that what I was doing was wrong and I should be doing it another way (a minor adjustment, and what I was doing was not unsafe). The patient, her friend, the other students and one of their patients were in the room and within earshot. I explained to the tutor why I was doing the treatment, but I was told it was still wrong, so rather than push the issue further then and there I did what had been suggested. Needless to say I was extremely embarrassed and for the rest of the session, which I completed in the same room with the same people, I was completely thrown. The issue was much further compounded (details of which need not be told here) when I went to talk to the tutor afterwards.

I understand that my exercise wasn’t perfect, and that it could have been that little bit better, but if a patient is unable to do one exercise, we can make it easier. My question, for the most, part is: When is it ok to make your own mistakes in order to learn better?

1 comment:

Lisa Richardson said...

Jess, like most of us this year unfortunately at times consists a lot of swallowing your pride, and accepting a supervisors input just to keep the peace and go with the flow.

As you would know, I'm not one to take things such as that lying down, but I have come to learn when to keep my lips sealed...it is unfortunate, and at times detrimental to our confidence and learning but the best piece of advice I was given late last year was to recognise that 4th yr is a game, just that every 4 or 5 weeks the rules of the game change.

I have been lucky enough so far that I haven't had to play these games (except for one prac) and haven't been forced into a situation where my integrity and confidence have been compromised.

Jess, so long as you recognise your mistake and learn from your it, then that mistake was worth it. Don't sell yourself short, nor compromise your learning by always sticking with what you know. Challenge yourself and hopefully your supervisor will come to recognise you as someone who wants to learn and pushes herself.