Monday 11 June 2007

Clinical Supervisors

I guess all of you have already read Nicki's outcry on her clinical supervisor. I thought I would just add a tiny bit on. The 3rd week was feedback week. The facility I am currently in has 6 different physios working and their shifts are organised as 3 day shifts 3 night shifts and 3 days off. As a result of this I get to work with a range of different physios, which is great at times, but not when it comes to assessments.

We have competencies to complete in Cardiopulm, they're bagging, suctioning and positioning. Hand outs were given for us to read and a relevant tute was conducted the next morning.This only lasted for the 1st week and then order was disrupted because of the increasing no. of patients which is understandable.

But the issue is when you have been working with the same physio for 3 days and on the 4th day another physio comes onto the shift who has no idea about you. They have a totally different style to the previous physio and who also needs to assess you on that day...the assessment just simply doesn't flow...and you end up with a disscussion of what have you been doing for the past 3 days. I've exaggerated things a little, but I get all worked up about not completing something I know well enough to do well in.

By the end of the second week I was given a mixed impression of what's expected of me. So I went to talk to the senior in the area who is also one of my supervisors, and luckily she said that I was going fine. Really?????

1 comment:

wemadeit said...

Different physio has different style, one day you will have your own style too, this is the style of physio so if I am a supervisor, I will be very stylish too-unless you did something seriously wrong or very unphysio, I would let anyone pass:)