Saturday 16 June 2007

Supervisor Vs CCT

On my last placement I found that my facility supervisor and Curtin clinical tutor had different expectations of what was required of me when assessing and treating a patient. My facility supervisor was also a senior physio of the ward and therefore did not have a lot of time to be supervising my assessment and treatment of every patient. From what she had seen she was very happy and often gained feedback from the new grads to see how I was progressing. My CCT however was very specific in what she wanted but this was not realized until I gained my feedback from my mid placement assessment. My CCT was not impressed with my ‘grasp’ on the patient (an incomplete paraplegic) and where I was going with his treatment. My patient had acquired shingles 2 weeks prior and therefore was unable to leave the room and attend the physio gym, therefore my instructions from my supervisor was to provide him with regular passive stretches and general strengthening exercises. I followed through with this treatment as well as working on his sitting balance (which I used as my main assessment and treatment for my mid placement assessment). My CCT was very concerned with the progress of this patient and said (during my feedback) that his room now had to become ‘his own gym’ and therefore practice facilitated rolling and transfers in and out of a wheel chair within the room. My CCT had said that she had faith in me for her not to have to come back to provide extra help for me in week 4 and said that she would hope for a much better standard in my final assessment (week 5). I discussed this feedback with my facility supervisor and she said she had a different view to the CCT and not to be too concerned, however this still made my final assessment quite a nervy one as I did not know if I was to do what I had been doing for 5 weeks or Ax and Rx as what I thought my CCT expected. What would you do in a similar situation?

2 comments:

jessica said...

I have found that MOST facility supervisors have very different opinions and treatment styles to the CCT's, and have even found differences when there are two different facility coordinators. In previous clinics I have found the tutors to be understanding of the taught differences, and open to suggestion if you can adequately reason why one way works better. However on other clinics the facility supervisors are so one eyed that they are not willing to even listen to your argument. As Lisa said in reply to my last post, the best advice is to play the game. Sum up the tutor, gauge if they are willing to listen to reason, and if not do what they say! It doesn’t feel good not to be able to say what you believe, but I will say this: It will save you a lot of heartache in the end!

wemadeit said...

In my cardio prac, I moved a drip pole around a patient's bed before I got him up and that didnt impress my CCT. She told me what I did is a big NO NO (so I can say I really messed up in that assessment). However, that was what exactly my supa-visa had showed me the day before. My situation was worse Rowan.